Monday, February 11, 2008

More Iraq Pictures

I started this blog mostly to keep everyone updated on Gary during the deployment because I knew he wouldn't keep in contact much while he was gone. But he is limited in what he can tell me, so it is kind of hard to give updates. I'm sure he'll have lots of stories to tell when he gets back, so until then here are a few more pictures from Iraq.

Gary carries a hand gun on his thigh and a rifle over his shoulder.

This is Gary with Micah Sampson. His wife hates facial hair on Micah as much as I hate facial hair on Gary, so they decided to grow mustaches.

Gary riding in his 7 ton, still with the ridiculous mustache.

This is the back of the 7 ton where he usually sleeps when they're out in the field.

A .50 cal and Cheez-Its, what more do you need when you're on watch? This is a picture of the only "mountains" Gary has seen over there. This is Gary and Richard Knudsen with the blow pops I sent in their mouths. Richard's wife Ashley moved in with her parents for the deployment. Her parents happen to be in my ward and don't live far from me, so Ashley and I have become good friends.
This is Gary's living space. He uses the plastic drawers as a desk. Not a lot of closet space or privacy!

1 comment:

Shari Baker said...

Comment about your last post. Those flowers are amazing. I've never seen that many flowers in one vase...WOW!

The biggest surprise in the picture of Gary's living space is that Gary's bed isn't made. From what I know Gary was kind of a crazy about having the bed made perfectly! I know that's a Marine Corp thing. Thanks for sharing the pictures Mel. I can't imagine how life would be over there. Thank heavens for people like Gary and many others who are willing to go and serve our Country so that I don't have to. Hope all continues to go well.